Sunday, October 27, 2013

In Transition

I haven’t written anything for this blog since a couple of weeks before my mother died in May 2012.  I’ve done lots of other writing, but haven’t returned to this blog. I think I got stuck because I thought I should say something about my mother’s life before I started posting blogs again, but I haven’t wanted to use this forum in that way. But, I decided to get started with this blog again by writing one thing about my mother.
Trees in Transition
View from our kitchen window

One of the things I experienced in my conversations with my mom is that she seldom asked questions about my life or my thoughts. She was more interested in hearing about what was happening in my garden (The crocus came up earlier than usual), the park (We saw a fox when out on an evening walk), or incidents as I went about my day (while 25 people waited in line at the post office, several workers walked around but only one station was open). 




While there were times that I expressed frustration that my mother and I only made “small talk,” I’ve realized since she died that I miss those conversations. I see so many things in a given day that I would have enjoyed telling her and that she would have enjoyed hearing [for example the trees in transition in the above photo].


I’ve come to realize that my mother was very interested in my observations which heightened my mindfulness of the environment in which I live—an environment and life always in transition.

No comments:

Post a Comment