Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Get Off the Bus: Reflections on Racism and White Privilege

I was nine years old the first time I rode a bus. It was 1955 in Texas. We had traveled by car to Texas from Ohio for my Dad’s work. When he went off with the car for the day, my mom decided we would take the bus to the zoo. As my mom carried my baby sister in her arms and struggled to get money out to pay the bus driver, she told me to take my younger sister and find a place for us to sit. I spied a bench seat at the back of the bus that would hold us all. As soon as my sister and I sat down, my thrill in finding a spot quickly disappeared. The people around us resolutely stared out the window, people in the front turned and glared, and my mom didn’t sit with us! I was mortified but had no idea what I had done.[1] When we got off the bus, I expected my mom to tell me what I had done wrong, but she was silent.
About 10 years ago, my daughter and I went to South Africa with a group of sociologists for a People to People program. One afternoon, an unplanned opportunity arose to visit with a woman who somebody knew. Along with a few of our traveling companions, we went by bus to the outskirts of the city, met the woman, and took a stroll with her through her township, saying hello and, following her lead, chatting here and there with children and adults who were out and about.  Upon my return to the states, I gave a presentation about my experiences in South Africa.  One of my white university colleagues who is a world traveler was horrified at my mention of this informal afternoon. She ended her monologue of fears and dangers with a stern rebuke: “Do not get off the bus.”
These two experiences came to mind as the white supremacist violence in Charlottesville and its aftermath exploded. Getting on and off the bus that day in Texas introduced me to the power of the unspoken, the unquestioned, and the unchallenged and how feelings of shame and ignorance are entangled in learning “one’s place,” even when that place is one of privilege. Getting off the bus in a South African township meant facing the persistence of deep inequalities and suffering in spite of the end of apartheid, hearing the hopes and visions of people as they imagined what was possible, and struggling with understanding my role.
What can I learn from these past experiences? One lesson is to acknowledge that as a white person, I have a privileged seat on the bus where racial segregation and hatred persist despite efforts to eradicate them.
A second lesson is that as a white person with privilege, I have often sat in my seat without noticing or questioning where others are seated. I can choose from moment to moment to speak about, question, and challenge racist violence and hatred around me or I can insulate myself from it.  This choice is white privilege.
A third lesson is that just as riding in an air-conditioned bus was not the way to experience South Africa, staying on the bus-no matter where I sit-is not the way to understand and challenge racism and violence in the United States. I’ve got to get off the bus to understand the deep inequalities that continue to plague our country, to listen to the hopes and visions of people who cannot choose to opt out of racial oppression, and to figure out my role in confronting racism and creating social justice.





[1] It wasn’t until 1956 that the Supreme Court ruled that racial segregation on buses was unconstitutional.

No comments:

Post a Comment