Friday, September 28, 2018

Look Now

Look at that poor white guy
I can feel his ire
He is on the Supreme Court for his lifetime
How dare some woman say his past matters now.

Look at all that ugliness
I can see his tears
Other boys got stinking drunk and laughed, too
How dare someone ask him to remember now.

Look at that old boys’ club
I can hear their lies
They misuse their power and privilege 
How dare some people ask them to be honest now.

Look at the people moving
I can touch their rage
Our path to justice is long and rocky
How dare anyone try to stop us now.


Martha Thompson


I wrote the first version of the poem the evening of Christine Blasey Ford's and Brett Kavanaugh's testimony to the Senate Judiciary Committee, September 27, 2018 and posted it on Facebook. The following day, I posted it on this blog. In the first version, stanza 1, line 3 was "His road to the Supreme Court was assured" and stanza 3, line 3 was "They think they deserve power and privilege." I rewrote those two lines after the Senate confirmed Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court on October 6, 2018 and changed it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment